Known today as University of Wisconsin-Richland, the present campus opened in 1967 as the Richland Branch Campus of the Wisconsin State University-Platteville. With the 1972 merger of the University of Wisconsin and State University Systems, the campus became part of the University of Wisconsin Center System and was known as UW Center-Richland, until 1983 when the institution became known as the University of Wisconsin Centers. In 1997, the name of the institution was changed to the University of Wisconsin Colleges and the campus name to UW-Richland.
The tradition of higher education in Richland County has deep roots. In 1903, the first college was established in Richland Center. Through various changes and incarnations--from Normal School, to Teachers College, from the WSU System to the UW Center System to the University of Wisconsin-Richland Colleges campus of today--the tradition continues.
Improvements and expansions over the years include construction of the on-campus Symons Recreation Complex in 1987, Campus View student housing which opened in 1987 and was expanded in 1988 and 1999, renovation and expansion of Melvill Hall in 1998, and Science Hall in 2001. East Hall, a former county building adjacent to the campus, was renovated and became the newest UW-Richland building in 2010. An expansion project at Campus View student housing is underway and expected to be complete in the spring of 2014.