The 4th Annual University of Wisconsin-Richland Alumni Association’s Home Brew Fest was termed a big success by Brew Fest committee and Alumni Association officials. Approximately 350 people converged on the UW-Richland gymnasium for this increasingly popular event, enjoying samples from home brewers, local microbreweries, and a local winery. In addition, food samples were provided by area vendors.
2016 award winners are:
Home Brewer’s Choice Awards:
- 1st Place / Donald Pfau, Mazomanie: Saison with Hibiscus and Tangerine
- 2nd Place / Travis Parr, Viroqua: Fresh Hop Rye
- 3rd Place / Trevor Parr, Viroqua: Drop Tine Pale Ale
Guest Judge’s Awards:
- 1st Place / Don Fleishman, Fitchburg: Oatmeal Molasses Stout
- 2nd Place / Greg Johnson, Hillsboro: Three Speed Belgian Tripel
- 3rd Place / Mark Harper, Richland Center: Cucumber Saison
Dean’s Choice Award:
- Mark Harper, Richland Center: Judy’s Oatmeal Stout
Alumni President’s Choice Award:
- Ross Harms, Sauk City: Cream Ale
Alumni Choice Award:
- Eric Bearce, Blue River: Hefeweisen
- 1st Place / Mark Harper, Richland Center: Cucumber Saison
- 2nd Place / Donald Pfau, Mazomanie: Coconut Porter
The Guest Judge for this year’s event was Ross Nelson of Mel’s Microbrewery & Pubbery of Richland Center.
Alumni officials are very grateful for the support given to this event, including local businesses who donated items or placed an ad in the Brew Fest program; the UW-Richland maintenance department; and to Tom Houck, Class of 1984, who along with his law partner Jake Schrinsky, provided major financial support.
The 5th Annual Home Brew Fest will take place on Saturday, October 7. For more information about this event visit uwralumnibrewfest.com. For more information about UW-Richland visit richland.uwc.edu.
Photo caption: Home Brewers at the 4th Annual University of Wisconsin-Richland Brew Fest are pictured (l to r): Donald Pfau, Mark Harper, Travis Parr, Eric Bearce, Trevor Parr, Ross Harms, Don Fleishman, and Greg Johnson.